Saturday, August 16, 2014

Black Redstart

Black Redstart (Rougequeue) Phoenicurus ochruros
Bagà, Catalonia, Spain

      One of the species we could count on seeing every day during our week in Bagà was Black Redstart. Each morning, when I went down to the stream which flows through the village, one would be perched on the wall.
     This bird appears to be either a female or a juvenile.




     No doubt the surrounding Pyrenees provide the natural habitat it favours, with lots of rocky areas for it to nest, but this species has adapted well to human settlement, especially towns and cities with old buildings, ruins, church towers, abandoned industrial areas and so on. Bagà provides a good deal of suitable habitat, much to the bird's liking I am sure.




David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

9 comments:

  1. I love the Redstarts. This little bird is beautiful !
    Your picures are wonderful, as always !
    Thank you for your help in finding out the name of my bird !
    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh Fine!!!.. Beautiful place.. Nice pictures.. Regards from Madrid

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE these! I walked the Camino de Santiago and the first section through the Pyrenees and down through the Basque country featured lots of these little birds in each village. Thanks for sharing and bringing back some happy memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look an interesting area, and interesting to see the Redstart too. I've only seen a Daurian Redstart in the past so it's good to be reminded of the group.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely images, David, of a bird I used to see frequently during my travels in mainland Europe. They seem to love rail yards! They are quite rare in UK, so I was very surprised when the County Recorder informed me at Birdfair that we had a breeding pair (2 broods already this year!) only 12 miles from my home (in a rail-connected yard, as it happens!). It's probably a good thing that there's no public access to this place, as they'd probably be hounded out of existence.

    Best wishes to you both from a sunny, but cool and windy, UK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice of you all day saw David! I think it is a juvenile.
    The walls and the tower have also photographed very nice and bright!
    I should like to see:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks to me like a juvenile from the look of the joint between lower and upper beak...
    But it is indeed difficult to be quite certain!
    Great shots anyhow and quite a familiar birdie but one I haven't photographed much this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The top picture is a real corker David.I found them very confiding in Cyprus, especially the juveniles as I am sure yours is.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers