Monday, August 11, 2014

Dragons and others of Bassa d'Oles

Discoveries at Bassa d'Oles, Spain
16 July 2014

     When visiting Bassa d'Oles with our dear friends Noushka and Patrick we were in the company of two dragonfly experts and realized how woefully inadequate is our knowledge of these fascinating creatures. They are enchanting and we always pay attention to them, and even though our knowledge is not great, we at least have a little greater knowledge of the species we find locally.
     I do not have a guide for the dragonflies of Europe so all but one of the pictures below will go unidentified. Please help with identification and I will add the title to each picture.
     The credit for these pictures by the way should go to my wife, Miriam. It was her patience that garnered these results.

Yellow-winged Darter Sympetrum flaveolum

Common Blue Damselfly Enallagma cyathigerum

Four-spotted Chaser Libellula quadrimaculata




Common Grasshopper Chorthippus brunneus



David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, those are beautiful pictures.
    Wonderful color and sharpness, 5 is my favorite.
    Greetings Tinie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super dragon and damsel images, Miriam. I'm sure Noushka will put me right if I get it wrong, but I believe No.2 is a mating pair of Common Blue Damselfly ( Enallagma cyathigerum) (upper male, lower female), and the subsequent dragonflies are all Four-spotted Chasers (Libellula quadrimaculata). What I'm really not sure about is the sex of the chasers. The divergent rear appendages of them all suggest immature male to me, but the overall appearance looks more like the female shown in my guide.

    Incidentally, if you want a comprehensive, but easily understandable, guide, I recommend "Field Guide to the Dragonflies of Britain and Europe" by Klaas-Douwe B Dijkstra. I get the impression that it is to dragonflies what the Collins guide is to birds.

    My best wishes to you both - keep these super report coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Richard, I will add the names accordingly. Thanks also for the name of the reference book. I'll have to get a copy.

      Delete
  3. Grand captures!
    Thanks for you kind words on my last post. MS is often a misunderstood disease.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures of the dragonflies, David.
    All perfectly photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely insects and pictures, one can not get tired of studying them.

    Good Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a super series; congrats to you both; it must've been very exciting achieving these photos Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are certainly some beautiful insects in the world, and thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! Its not easy to Catch them....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Piękne fotki i ważka:) Pozdrawiam i zapraszam do mnie:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful pictures of dragonflies! We love these insects...
    Regards :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhhhhhhhhh .... what a beautiful photos
    Truly beautiful David. These are simply gems of nature.
    A really big compliment !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I can see Richard has given you all the right answers while I was away!!
    The Yellow darter is a juvenile male, he will turn orange-red when mature....
    Magnificent photos, congratulations to you........ and Miriam!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers